Friday, April 16, 2010

because some days I still need to be reminded...

A few weeks ago a doctor confirmed a diagnosis which gave me a medical explanation for our infertility lo those many years. My first thought was, "this is absolutely crazy!" I mean, all those years of trying for a baby and seeing doctors and tests and I'm JUST NOW fully understanding what was/is happening with my wacky hormones while at a routine doctor visit? It's absolutely crazy, if you look at it from an earthly perspective. Truth is, I look back and am extremely grateful that at the time I didn't have a "diagnosis." In my heart of hearts, I think God knows I would have sunk into an even deeper pit than I was already in. Truth is God didn't have to answer my prayer for children but He did. Knowing how difficult it is for women with my diagnosis to get pregnant has made me stop again and praise Him for choosing to allow me on this motherhood journey. It also makes those extra drama-filled days that come with having wee ones a bit easier. Something our family likes to do after dinner sometimes is turn on music and dance in the living room. Even Trinity gets in on the action now with her little toddler moves. Last week I pulled out a cd I haven't listened to in over a year but it immediately took me back in time. (Does anyone else have music that does that for them?) When we lived in Ft. Worth, I drove all over town for my job, which gave me some great times for praise and worship on I-35! The Lord used many songs and scriptures to comfort during our "infertility days" but one in particular was Hillsong's "Blessed" cd. And so as my girls and I danced around our living room with Hillsong in the background I was reminded that I still need to choose thankfulness over annoyance when I hear "MOMM-MMYYYY!" for the 140th time in a day because there are many nights I wrestled with the Lord and asked Him for that very privilege. I am so completely blessed. Back in 2004, Kevin and I quickly bonded with a precious couple who also came to live on the East Side. I think one of the things that bonded us so quickly, besides the fact that they are just plain awesome, was our shared infertility journey. They rejoiced with so many others who had children while they prayerfully, beautifully, expectantly waited to become parents. And finally, last year they experienced the miracle of adoption! It has been one of the most beautiful journeys to parenthood I've ever seen. And not long ago they discovered they are expecting another child. JD2, from 0 to 2 kids in 13 months...can you believe it?! We are rejoicing with you! Ok, and since I always love a post with pictures, can I show you a few pictures of our girls taken in February? (I know, taken 2 months ago...I'm so on top of it!)

6 comments:

Jim Gerlt said...

You just got to think God has a sense of humor and it sometimes seems more wierd than my own. Yes, Brig, I well remember your struggles and felt total frustration at not being able to help my little girl (daddys always want to fix things for their little girls). How precious are the girls' pictures. Please keep them coming.

Erin said...

Brigitte,
I love your post, I love your heart, love your family, your girls, your pictures.
Thanks for sharing with us!

Anonymous said...

All of our children and grandchildren are miracles--but some are even more so. When you told us about your diagnosis, I really thanked HIM for his grace to you. Nana
ps Keep the beautiful pictures coming.

sandra said...

I can not tell you how many times I've thought about the fact that you received a diagnosis on a routine doctor's visit. Our conversation has lingered in my mind for SO long. I find our Father's will and purpose so interesting - how at the most unsuspecting moments he weaves blessing into our lives.

I love how you're now taking this blessing and adding it to your parenting. What is it about 3? The "terrible twos" pretty much skipped this household and came banging down our door at three.

I've never experienced so much bad parenting as I've done the past three months.

But these wee ones are our gifts and our blessings - even when they're screaming about the fact that they didn't get to start the soy milk maker - even when we asked them three times if they wanted to start the soy milk maker and they said no, but as soon as we pressed the button...

hugs.

kristen lewis said...

I wonder how many times God has "parted Red Seas" in my life while I walk through nonchalantly. His gifts are good! I am especially fond of your two sweet gifts. Amazing pictures, friend!

Matt and Rebekah said...

Oh wow! Thank you so much for putting my life as a mom back into perspective! Wonderful pics. We miss you guys like crazy! Take care.