Wednesday, November 2, 2011

October picture dump

October, we barely knew thee. It felt like one of the fastest recorded months in our family history and included a visit from friends, lots of work and home school, Grace's first ever performance at her local school (more on that later), and quite a bit of travel/business for Kevin. I'm so excited it's November!! The first part of October we had some sweet friends hop on the overnight train to come visit us. We all had so much fun having them in our home for a few days! Of course we had to show them the highlights of our city.
Thank you, J and S, for coming to see us!
It only took 6.75 years, but I finally found some friends to give me Chinese cooking lessons. Of course, I've asked friends before to teach me and they just say, "Oh, I can't really cook anything special, just stir fry." Most folks cook at home by adding various combinations of oil, garlic, salt, ginger or soy sauce to meat and veggies and voila, you have dinner. So I was thrilled to have friends take me step-by-step through the process. The different thing about Chinese cooking is people hardly ever write down any recipes; you really just throw in a little of this and a little of that. But my friends allowed me to watch and write down step by step how they make their food. There are a few things I will change to fit our preferences, but it was a fun night seeing how they prepare meals.
Our yummy meal included a veggie we call bok choy, braised pork, seaweed, stir fry potatoes, a cold noodle dish, sausage, greens, and egg and tomato soup.
I had to include this picture from October just because I love it...
Fridays have become Grace's favorite day at home school because that's the day we do science experiments. Here we are mixing an acid and a base (vinegar and baking soda) to made fizz. And yes, you read that right, we used "Arm & Hatchet" baking soda. Gotta love the knock-offs here.
Since we have no traditional, round orange pumpkins in town for fall, we settled for painting butternut squash and xiaogua, a kind of veggie that is round and green and tastes like zucchini. The girls loved it!
And on Monday night, after a really hectic 4 days, daddy was home and we threw on some play clothes last minute and went to a few of our foreign friends' homes to trick or treat. We had a volunteer friend in town who has a grown son and encouraged us to savor these days with young children because they pass quickly and soon enough we'll be wishing we had little feet running around once again. Words of wisdom right there.
One of our friends had her dog greet us at the door dressed like an Arkansas Razorback fan. So cute!
After climbing 15 flights of stairs to go to 4 different homes, Grace and Trinity went home and enjoyed some candy corn for the first time ever. A friend had just come back from the US and was thoughtful to bring them some.
They both gave it a big thumbs up.
And there you have a little bit of life happenings from October.

3 comments:

sandra said...

That painted xiaogua makes me so happy!

Anonymous said...

I have missed your blogs. I know you are really busy now that you are home schooling but I so enjoy reading about every day happenings.
Nana

Valerie said...

I love posts that are filled to the brim with pictures. :) That food picture made me awfully hungry though, especially knowing that it is deliciously authentic, a rarity over here. And I love the fact that you found some other vegetables to paint. Your girls will probably get a big kick out of seeing those cute "Chinese-style pumpkins" when they are older and looking back through photos.