Thursday, December 22, 2011

on Christmas 2011

Though 7 years ago when we first arrived overseas I might have said otherwise, I now believe it's a blessing to have experienced Christmas overseas as well as in the US. For some reason this season of advent has been especially meaningful to me this year. Maybe it's the hard times I've seen several family members and friends walk through lately, perhaps it's the trials I've seen local brothers and sisters endure, or maybe I'm just getting old, but my heart is more ready than ever to say, "Come Lord Jesus!"
  • For our family, blessings of Christmas in the States include: time with extended family; beautiful Christmas music and meaningful corporate worship; and a general excitement everywhere you go about the coming festivities. Christmas in America = great.
  • Blessings of Christmas in Asia include: no annoying holiday commercials encouraging us to buy more; Christmas parties with local friends and getting to share Him with folks who've never heard; baking cookies with friends who've barely even seen an oven before; and a pace of life which, though busy, is generally less stressful. Christmas in Asia = great.
  • The other day I read Colossians 1:19 which says,

"For God was pleased to have all his fullness dwell in him."

What an amazing reality. God's fullness completely dwelt in Christ. Even as that tiny baby lying in a manger, there was absolutely nothing lacking in Jesus Christ. His was the fullness of God. Praise the Lord.

  • Now, if you'll allow me to change the subject, Momma needed to bust out the camera the other day and remember two of my precious gifts from Christmas 2011. I've been having so much fun with these two as we anticipate Christmas and celebrate Advent. Grace is at an age where she understands so much more of why Jesus had to come. I'm beginning to understand that this parenting thing just gets more and more fun.

Merry, merry Christmas to you!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Brigitte, how you blessed my heart this morning. You are an incredible woman/wife/mother. I couldn't be more proud of you. What a great perspective. We miss you and are SO EXCITED ABOUT CHRISTMAS NEXT YEAR!!!!!
Dad/Papa Jim

Judy Gerlt said...

Thank you for the gift of this blog post; my heart is full of thanksgiving this morning. I just love the way the girls love and enjoy one another. We miss you so, but wouldn't change a thing if we could. God is so good. Next year I plan to savor every moment together! Love you, Mom

Anonymous said...

It is fun to see our beautiful granddaughters in their Christmas dresses. Merry Christmas.
Nana and Pappaw

O Fam said...

Loved these pictures of such sweet girls!!! Merry Christmas to each of you. We love you!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, could your girls be any more beautiful?! Love those Christmas dresses. I can't believe how grown up they look. Merry Christmas!!

Amy O said...

Wonderful post and beautiful precious girls! Have a blessed Christmas! Love you!

Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing your advent/CHRISTmas thoughts with us. insightful. hope that your friends are experiencing hope this season... in the midst of life's difficulties.
especially loved & enjoyed seeing the beautiful pictures of your precious gifts. so, so sweet!
we love you all!!!
~jd2