Tuesday, January 15, 2008

reality

So I just have to vent something... I've had a head-knowledge about some of the injustices that happen where I live. Today, it hit me in the heart. As I was waiting for a repairman to come by today to fix our never-ending leaks, a friend was at my house. Suddenly, two additional women were at the door. I had no idea who they were and thought they came to fix my leaks, but my friend quickly told me they were part of another office within our apartment complex. In essence, it's an office concerned with p0pulation contr0l. (You might be wondering what these ladies were doing here; in essence, they heard we were home and came to gawk at the foreigner baby.) Anyhow, when they left, I asked my friend a few more questions, just out of curiosity. My friend wears her heart on her sleeve, and I could tell something was eating at her. Next thing I knew, she was tearing up and sharing with me about how her sister-in-law, at 7 months pregnant, was forced to have an abortion because she already had 2 girls. I know this happens here, but her story still made me absolutely furious. This happened a few years back, but to my friend, the wound was obviously still pretty fresh. She said, "it's just the way things are here." My friend is a C, and the only thing I knew to say was I was so sorry and that one day we'd be able to meet that baby. One of these days, the Ancient of Days will make things right.

2 comments:

Chad Gerlt said...

That makes me cry right now. How?

Anonymous said...

wow, biji...thanks for sharing your story. It hurts to watch that kind of thing happen, hurts to watch people be so callous to it. love you. see you soon.