Friday, November 21, 2008

holiday shout-out to my EA buddies

*Disclaimer: this blog entry was probably written under the heavy influence of a multitude of pregnancy hormones. Growing up, we would always have Christmas music playing while we decorated the tree. I mean, doesn't everyone? It seems like our cd of choice almost always included Amy Grant's "Home for Christmas." Or at least, that's the one I remember. So, even though I'm sure there are a multitude of wonderful Christmas cds out there, that particular cd takes me back to some fun Christmas memories more than any other. It was December 8, just before Christmas, when Kevin and I arrived in Asia in 2004. The hard goodbyes to family were very fresh, and we were still pretty scared about how to live in such a foreign place. We didn't have an apartment of our own yet and could barely find the bus stop or a grocery store to go buy bread. Finding peanut butter was a big deal. But, by golly, we managed to buy a Charlie Brown Christmas tree and decorate it with a few things we brought from the States. One day, however, I made the mistake of pulling out my Amy Grant Christmas album. One song into it and I was crying. I couldn't even begin to listen to Christmas music without getting homesick. I was PATHETIC. Now, don't get me wrong. We've had 4 Christmases in Asia, and for the most part, they have each been sweet in their own way. There is still materialism in Asia surrounding the holiday, but not nearly to the extent as in the US. Actually, most folks in Asia don't even really know why Christmas is celebrated, and that is always a good motivator/reminder of why it's so important to be there. But Christmas more than any other holiday has always made me miss my family and family gatherings. So, during the last 4 Christmases, I've only played Christmas music when I felt like I was in a good emotional state of mind! So, today I thought, "Hey, I'm in the US this year for Christmas. Let's bust out some Amy Grant!" I was SO surprised that I still got emotional. How silly can I be? But now, I think that album takes me back to those first emotionally tender days of that first Christmas in Asia. And, I started to think about all my ex-pat friends who are in Asia right now. I know they will have wonderful Christmases, but it is always a little different to be away at this time of year. So, for all you EA buddies, and you know who you are, I love you and am thinking of you this entire Christmas season. In particular, R, A, H and H, as you celebrate your first Christmas overseas, I pray it's one of the most blessed ones you've ever had, even if there are some homesick feelings. We love you very much!

4 comments:

MichelleWebb said...

I love that Amy Grant album and the same things happens to me! (Especially over here!) I actually like both her Christmas albums - do you know the other one? We're going back to the US for 2 1/2 weeks over Christmas for the first time since 2004, so we're excited!
Hope you guys are well!

O Fam said...

Good post....the moral is, keep all music turned OFF for the next few months?!?!?!

Organized Chaos said...

The power Christmas music has over us is not fair at all. It can reduce me to a blubbering idiot and not necessarily during pregnancy, either! I think that same Amy Grant album brings back specific memories for me too. Probably because I listened to it non-stop from November 13 to December 31, every year for about ten years. (You'll be happy to know I've since invested in some other CDs....) Play on! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a bit of second home home sickness. I know we will miss europe as well but we are so ready to be in the states for Christmas. See yall soon.
daniel