Monday, June 15, 2009

Grace is 3!

Before we left the US, the only time I cried was one day prior to leaving...and it was because of a conversation I was having with my daughter. We had just said goodbye to my grandmother, so I was a little emotional already. And then in the car, Grace starting talking about turning 3 and the great party she was going to have. Then she said, "Mommy, all my kids are going to be at my party, right? Will Carter be there?..." and so on. I knew Grace had no idea how far away we were moving. Well, Grace turned 3 on Saturday, and having our dear American friends over made it such a special day for her! Thank you O-family and B-family for coming! No tears on this day, just lots of celebration. I'm so thankful for Grace's life and these 3 years we've had with her. We had a Dora-themed party, since Dora is (of course) her favorite right now. (BTW, I'm so happy to have these pictures posted that I don't care that they are out of order and I'm not even going to try and fix them!) :) I guess Grace knew this was a special day because she wanted to wear her purple princess dress that she usually only wears while playing. We even let her wear it to KFC to pick up the chicken with her Daddy. Nothing says "Happy Birthday" in Asia like a couple of buckets of KFC.
Yes, this is exactly how she eats a cupcake.
A little party-time balloon toss
LUNCH!
I'm so glad my self-worth does not come from my cake-making skills, or lack thereof. I made a round cake (to stack 2-high) and had planned to put little Dora figurines on top since I have not a clue how to decorate cakes. However, in the midst of icing the cake, the top layer was too heavy, the cake was moist and with the addition of extreme humidity, the cake completely fell apart. I mean couldn't even begin to salvage it. Thankfully we still had Dora cupcakes to eat, and Grace wasn't old enough to care. So, the adults had smashed cake and ice cream while the kids had cupcakes. Grace kind of thought it was amusing and kept saying, "My cake was falling down!" Again, although I was close, no tears, just celebration.
These two pretty ladies are sweet friends.
Here's Miss H doing a great job with pin-the-tail on Swiper!
And my wonderful helper Xiao Yu held Trinity and made her laugh. Trinity has slept through the night the past 2 nights! She's all smiles these days and oh, so snugly.
Grace and Miss L enjoyed a little dress-up during the party. Aren't they cute?
Grace, has it really been a year since you turned 2? (6/13/08)
And it seems like just the other day we were celebrating your 1st birthday! (6/13/07)
Grace, we love you so much! You are a spunky, bright spot in our lives. You make us laugh every day. I'll never forget that moment 3 years ago when I heard you cry for the first time and became a mommy. Life hasn't been the same since.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! What great pictures. Made me happy to see them/sad to have missed the event. Oh well, Christmas is not that far away. Thanks for getting the pictures up. We love you guys.
Papa Jim

Valerie said...

So cute! I'm glad it turned out so well -- both for Grace and for her Mama...:)

I think your friend on the left, did she go to OBU? I think she was there the same time as I, and maybe in some music stuff, too.

What a small world...:)

kristen lewis said...

Now I am crying. I love that girl so much. We sang to Grace on her birthday and Carter begged me to go to her house. I was telling him that Grace lives far away now, and his response was "Mommy her house is right by Bacon Heights." Kiss that precious three year old for me. Love you guys.

Matt and Rebekah said...

So glad you guys had a great and fun party, free of tears. I know how you feel with the realization that sweet Grace is already 3! We miss you guys and wish Grace a Happy Belated Birthday from us!

Anonymous said...

ahhhh... now i'm on the verge of crying. thanks B! ;) as usual, wish we were there... love!
~jdavis2

Anonymous said...

What a sweet birthday tribute to Grace. We love you all.
Mom and Dad Godin

Anonymous said...

We love the beautiful birthday tribute to Grace. What a fun day.
Mom and Dad Godin

sandra said...

Happy birthday Grace! What a great party! Of course, she got to go to KFC in her party dress. Good times.

Wish we could have popped over for some fallen cake and ice cream. Yum!

P.S.
Who's Dora?

The Barnes Bunch said...

Happy Birthday Grace!!! I am so glad it went well, but sad that we could not be a part of it. Alyssa was asking about Grace the other day. We miss you guys, but know that you are where God wants you. Love you guys and give Grace a big hug and kiss for us!

ashley said...

yeah!! I love the pictures. what a sweet little three year old!

Brigitte said...

Val, you are right! My dear friend hails from your alma mater. I believe she would have been in her senior year during your freshman. Truly, a small world.

Sandra, when mei mei gets here you'll have to introduce her to Dora the Explorer! Except she specializes in Spanish. I have found a few videos in Chinese, however.

Peggy said...

Just celebrated Carter's 4th and I can't remember our lives without him.
Grace is adorable, your pictures down memory line were terrific.
Carter does ask about her, you guys are loved.

Anonymous said...

KFC??? Where's the Chick-fil-A???

Matt and Lisha