Sunday, August 9, 2009

down the street

Most folks here go to the market each morning to buy their veggies and meat to cook for the day's meals. I, however, tend to go to Wal-Mart (oh-so fun and different from the US version!) a few times a week and stock-up on as much food as I can carry. This has been of great concern to an upstairs number of ours who asked me the other day what in the world we eat since we don't go to the market every morning. I was really surprised she noticed since I'd never even met her before! But every once in a while I will hop on the bus and head down the street to our market. The veggies and fruit really are super-fresh. And cheap.
Grapes, dragon eyes, mango-steens and plums for sale: if you come visit I'll buy you all the exotic fruit you could ever want!
And this is why I prefer to buy my meat at the grocery store. First thing in the morning it's pretty fresh, but by afternoon you don't want to smell it down here.
Outside on the street we have all kinds of vendors who bring in their produce on carts. I bought some guava and bananas from this guy but he was too shy to get in the picture.
If you head another two bus stops down the street, you can pick up some rolls from one of the local bakeries. I like the name on this one.
Because you never know when you might need some "west pastey."

5 comments:

kristen lewis said...

I had completely forgotten about dragon eyes. It seems like a wise woman once told me not to eat too many of those at the same time. . .

Love you! Thank you for sharing your life. I love seeing it all- even the meat!

Anonymous said...

It's fun to see your shopping path. What yummy looking fruit. Those would cost big bucks here in the states!

We love you.
Mom and Gram

sandra said...

Isn't it amazing how you can meet someone for the first time, but they know so much about your daily habits?

ashley said...

thanks for sharing, what an exotic life you lead my dear!

Matt and Rebekah said...

That is so funny....just the other day I was thinking, "Man, I sure wish I had me some west pastey!" LOL I love getting to see your life!