Tuesday, December 8, 2009

theological reflections from a 3 year old

Grace has had a recurring dream about a turtle. It's an angry turtle that wants to sit on her head. I'm not exactly sure where said turtle came from. I mean, we have some Franklin books but surely that's not it. He's definitely not an angry kind of turtle. There have been many nights in the last few weeks where Grace has woken up and crawled into bed with us, worried the turtle is about to sit on her head. I love to snuggle with her but Momma gets zero sleep when she's in bed with us so I always take her back to her room. Sometimes we rock and many times Grace will process her thoughts out loud for me. (Those who know Grace understand she is definitely a verbal processor!) We'll talk about how she doesn't need to be afraid because God is with her. And how she can pray anytime. Then, we put on one of 2 special anti-turtle hats and she's off to bed. (Well, the anti-turtle hats worked for a few nights until she discovered they "messed up her hair." Oh wow do I have visions of her as a teenager!) So now she has resorted to burying her head under her pillow. That's how I found her asleep last night. Anyway, 2 nights ago we were rocking and Grace started asking questions. She asked me how to pray and how to hear God. Because "in her Hermie video God talks to Hermie, so how do we get Him to talk to us?" And lately she's been a bit confused because we talk about Jesus being in heaven and also in our hearts but in her children's Bible Jesus is "on the ground and not in heaven." The questions kept coming the other night, one after another, and I was in awe of her questions. But she wasn't really pleased with most of my answers (as if I have all the answers!) She wanted to hear God NOW. At one point I mentioned she would keep learning more and more about God as she gets older. The next morning Grace was looking in the mirror on her tiptoes and asked me: "Mommy, am I taller now to talk to God?" I told her of course she could talk with Him anytime. She then sat on my bed and proceeded to say very loudly, "God!? Are you there?" And she sat very still just in case He spoke audibly. Oh how I pray He makes her one of His own!

7 comments:

ashley said...

What a precious girl, and what a precious mommy she has! Anti-turtle hats? I am quite impressed- praise God for quick thinking in the middle of the night and childlike faith.

Anonymous said...

i hear your heart... thank you for sharing it with us, and for allowing us a glimpse into your life of faith. love you all! ~jdavis2

Anonymous said...

That is what we pray for, that each grandchild would desire to hear God. Brigitte, you gave great answers but I must say Grace has quite an imagination. Nana

Valerie said...

Did she hear "Yertle the Turtle" recently? It definitely has an angry turtle in it that sits on other turtles' heads!

kristen lewis said...

I love this girl so very much.

Anonymous said...

"God, are you there?" Oh that every person of every people group would turn to Him and ask
Grace's question! At the ripe age of 59, I cannot think of one time that He refused to answer that one and he's flooding my heart with memories this morning. The psalmist also yearned to hear from God saying, "Show me your ways, O Lord, teach me your paths; guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior and my hope is in you all day long." Amen,Amen
With love and awe, Granna

rachel said...

we can totally relate with the messing up the hair business...my kids hate wearing sweaters and winter hats for that very reason!

Love those questions - I love how it reminds me to have childlike faith of my own, and also depend on Him for drawing our children's hearts to himself! Ptl for soft hearts!