Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Chinese New Year!

It might be Valentine's Day in the west but today in the far east, it's also New Year's Day! I've mentioned it before but we've lived here more than 4 years and this is our first time to be here for the big Lunar New Year. Last night was louder and more exciting than I ever imagined!
Even as I write the fireworks are ringing outside. They will be a familiar sound for the next week or longer. But last night, New Year's Eve, took the cake. The firecrackers had been going on and off for the past few days. But yesterday late afternoon they started getting louder and more frequent. And all through the night it got louder and louder. Around 10:30 things really started ramping up and at midnight it was truly amazing. I've never heard such a sound. I think our apartment was vibrating! I have to say that once I got over the annoyance of my children not being able to sleep, it was pretty fun to watch. I took these pictures outside of Grace's bedroom window around 10:30 last night. They were setting these off inside our apartment complex. At midnight, there were so many fireworks that I couldn't get a good picture because the sky was completely filled with smoke! (I have to say it's a good thing the buildings here are made of concrete! I did see a kid start a grass fire yesterday afternoon but an older girl got it stomped out quickly enough.)
This picture was taken from our balcony. You can see the long line of firecrackers going off. Trinity has been able to sleep through most of the fireworks tonight (amazingly!), but when they set them off right outside our window last night there was no way to sleep through it! Fireworks could still be heard in the distance last night when we went to bed at 1:30.
And being the ignorant foreigner that I am, I thought there wouldn't be any fireworks set off early this morning. (You know, since everyone was out partying last night.) Wrong! I shot out of bed this morning at 7:30 when they started out our window. Amazingly, Kevin, Grace, and Trinity slept through it. Here was the smoke scene from our balcony this morning.
More Chinese New Year fun to come soon...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is, Wow! What a difference from the restrictions on fireworks here. Talk about hard to relax! I'm proud of you all for taking it in stride.

Love you!
Granna

kristen lewis said...

At least you know that if the fireworks were made in China, they are safe, right? That smoke makes me cough for you. Love you!

Anonymous said...

The Chinese have had several thousand years to get it right. And with 1.3 billion people, why worry about a lot of smoke? The pictures were great. Mom G