Tuesday, February 9, 2010

on my mind

My computer crashed. Literally. Trinity managed to get the cord wrapped around her walker and it took a tumble. Kevin (aka "resident computer genius") has it back up and running. But I still can't post pictures because I need to load another program to shrink them for uploading. So 'til then, I have a few random things in my head and therefore feel the need for bullet points.
  • This country is getting ready for its biggest holiday...the celebration of the lunar new year. This coming year will be the Year of the Tiger, roar! We've lived here going on 5 years but until this year have always been out of the country for this holiday. Schools are out for a few weeks and friends are traveling to see family. Over the next few weeks, people will cook and spend time with family, give out red packets of money to kids, buy new clothes (often including red underwear for luck!), and set off FIREWORKS!! I have to tell you the fireworks here make our 4th of July celebrations look pretty puny. They know how to par-TAY with the gunpowder. Today in a span of not much more than a mile I saw SEVEN fireworks stands along the road. Serious pyro-mania. Young and old alike participate. Kevin's pretty pumped and wants to set them off, too. Me? I will not be allowing my children anywhere near! In fact, as I write I can already hear fireworks in the distance. They've been setting off small firecrackers in our apartment complex at random times the past few days. (And yes, I'm a little worried about my 11 month old sleeping on New Year's Eve but hey, we'll deal with it.) This will be an interesting few weeks!
  • Because friends' schedules have slowed, our schedule has slowed a bit as well. It is kind of an unusual time right now. We are hoping to take some time the next week or so for personal retreat and to see a few friends we don't get to see that often.
  • We are having a few days of unseasonably warm weather. Temps were in the 80's today and tomorrow the forecast is expected to hit 90!! Close to ninety degrees in February?!! Craziness. As I was sweating on the way to the store today I was floored to see most people still in their long sleeves and jackets. The calendar says February. Therefore the winter clothes are out and worn. Some things still boggle my mind. But I am so thankful for the sunny days we've had lately. Our family had a picnic at a park tonight and we all had a blast! I kept thinking how odd it was to hear about all the snow in the US right now.
  • Grace's new thing right now is to tell jokes. Jokes that she made up. She cracks herself up with stuff like, "Mommy your nose is a computer!!" This has necessitated us teaching her a few actual jokes. I love 3 year old humor!
  • Trinity is starting to walk with the aid of her little walker. I think she's still several weeks away from walking on her own...at least that's what I'm hoping! I'm not really in a hurry for her to walk! She is such a cuddly baby girl and over the past month has started saying, "bye bye," "ba" for ball and "ni ni" for night-night. Nothing is consistent but it's fun to hear her little voice.
  • We feel like 2010 will be a big year. We are planning on moving late summer to a much smaller town. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a bit nervous. We go back and forth between excited/nervous/excited/anxious/etc. I think especially lately the Father has been trying to get out some of the junk in my heart in preparation to move. I often have such an impatient attitude towards the little inconveniences of living here and forget all the amazing blessings to be thankful for. Such a constant struggle lately. But when I stop and look and meditate of His goodness it completely blows me away!
  • It's late and my bed is calling my name. So until next time...I'll be ducking and covering from the fireworks! :)

4 comments:

ashley said...

it's nice to hear what's going on there, even if it is in bullet points!

Anonymous said...

thank you for sharing your heart & life. i'm so jealous... i guess i thought texas was 90 degrees year round but alas, it isn't! wishing for warmer weather... and looking forward to when we can catch up in person. missing you all... (((hugs!))) ~jdavis2

Unknown said...

Great post. I really enjoyed hearing about the little things.
excited about Christmas 2010. would that be the Christmas of the tiger?

kristen lewis said...

90 degrees! Wow! It is snowing here as I type. Definitely teach Grace the knock knock about "Dwayne the bathtub. I'm dwowning!" Love you so much.