Sunday, June 13, 2010

Grace's 4th birthday

Grace enjoys a party as much as anyone I know. She loves to celebrate other people's birthdays, both young and old alike. And she's pretty much anticipated her 4th birthday party since, well, June 13 of last year. Thankfully it worked out to celebrate with her friends here in the big city before we move. We have some pretty wonderful people in our lives here and they made her day special. Thank you, friends, for loving on our girl! Being the girly-girl that she is, this year Grace wanted a princess party. After last year's Dora cake-falling fiasco I decided I needed to do some research to avoid a repeat. So I saw online that doing a castle cake was the easiest way to go. Candy and ice cream cones as decorations? That's about my speed. I wasn't really concerned about it looking professional, I just wanted Grace to like it. But I made the mistake of telling Grace she would have a castle cake, because then I heard her say things like, "Mommy my cake is going to be sooo cute!" Umm, no pressure at all there. But thankfully she liked it. I don't see professional cake decorating in my near future, but it was fun to do nonetheless. Here we are before the party trying to straighten up the castle a bit and working on fixing the crooked flags! (Can you tell from my empty walls we are moving soon!?)
Boy, do I love these 3 people...
Cousin Macy was our first little guest to arrive! She recently had her first birthday! We love you, baby girl!!
The first game played was "pass the teapot."
Then we had a little fun with "Kiss the frog."
Blowing out the candles... Today we learned Grace was under the impression she automatically turned a year older when everyone sang to her and she blew out her candles. And then, at the end of her party, she thought her birthday was over. No wonder she places such a high value on the actual birthday party!
Sister played a little peek-a-boo with the kids at the party.
checking out the party favors...
Grace was so excited to have new jammies and jewelry that she changed into both before the party was over and napped in them that afternoon.
Grace, what a wonderful year this has been for you. I can't believe how much you have grown and changed and learned, especially in the last few months. One of my favorite things about you is your imagination. You are ALWAYS pretending and role-playing. This year you've taken on a hundred and one names. Some days you decide your name is Fern, some days you are Uniqua, some days you pretend to be one of your big-girl cousins or your buddy Hannah. But more and more lately you've been Grace. It's been fun to pretend with you this year, and you've taught me how fun imagining can be. You love to read together and recently you began sounding out words. While we've been packing up our apartment, you've surprised us by reading some of the labeled boxes on your own. You love to "do preschool" with Mommy and you certainly want to go to school "for real" you say. Daddy and I are praying you can enjoy going to local preschool this year. Despite the fact you will be the "different" kid, we pray you can thrive and make friends and learn to speak the local language.
Yesterday evening after your birthday party we went out to eat and let you wear your princess dress. People were smiling at you, and you asked me why they were laughing. I told you they weren't laughing at you but maybe that thought you looked like a real princess. You immediately told me, "Mommy, I'm God's little princess. I love God every time. Not just some of the time but all the times." Oh baby girl how I pray this will be true your whole life. I pray you won't grow up to be a princess who feels entitled to all that life has to offer but that you will first and foremost be proud to be a daughter of the Most High King. I love you so much.

6 comments:

kristen lewis said...

You capture your feelings so perfectly with your words. This made me cry- I'm still crying actually. I always cry on my babies' birthdays- the passing of time reminds me of how quickly the seasons change in our lives. I love your Grace so much, and loved seeing her birthday pictures. Your cake was adorable, and her smile says it all. I have no doubt that this next season will be wonderful for all of you.

I got to see the Rouse clan this morning and hugged your sister for what probably seemed like a creepy amount of time because it was almost like hugging you. I love you so much.

Rachel said...

What a sweet post, and a sweet girl that you have! Happy birthday to Grace, and I have to admit to a few tears in hearing her amazing four year old profession of faith. YOU look great in the pics, and the cake does too! Way to go!

We'll pr for you all as you make the big move. I know the L has great things in store for you!

Anonymous said...

What a charming birthday cake. Quite a feat with your limited resources. The pictures show Grace,Trinity and guests having a good time. Happy Birthday dear granddaughter. Thanks. They were almost as good as being there. Nana

ashley said...

what a sweet girl and a sweet post! love the cake- I'm proud of you for tackling such a feat! hope your move is seamless

Anonymous said...

thank you so much for Grace's birthday update! we absolutely love watching Grace grow... and Trinity is such a doll!
just so you know, i got all choked up when i read about Grace the princess... of the most high King.
we love you all and are eagerly anticipating a family reunion! ;) ~jd2

KLee said...

The cake is awesome! Such a fabulous job.
And my 4 year old says the same thing about blowing out the candles making you a year older. I love the simplicity.
Hope the move was an easy one!