Saturday, June 12, 2010

on moving to the 4th floor in 4 days

It's Saturday night. We've had a fun celebration of Grace's 4th birthday today (pictures to come soon), and I'm still looking at some of the party aftermath in my living room. I really ought to be cleaning up wrapping paper, packing up my kitchen, packing up my bedroom, really packing anything that's outside of a box. But I'm plumb wore out so blog I will. In 4 days we'll load up our belongings and move about 2 hours south of where we live. If you'd told me a few years ago where I'd be moving, I might have panicked just a bit. It's just the truth. Yes, there were many adjustments that came with simply moving to this country, but we are moving to an even bigger fishbowl than the one we already live in. I do believe we'll be the first foreigners to live in this town that's not associated with a school or university of any kind. And my kids will be the first little foreigners living there. Thankfully, by the end of the summer, some other foreign kids will be living there too! Yes, if you had told me a few years ago for sure we'd be moving to this little town, I would not have been ready. And while I might still be a bit sad about leaving the big city and our friends here, I can now honestly say I'm more excited than nervous. This move just feels completely right for our family. Last year when Kevin said he felt the Father moving us in this direction, at first my heart skipped a beat. I wrestled with it for a few weeks. But really as time wore on and I came to the same realization that this is what we needed to do (read: let go of my stubbornness), my heart started changing a bit. I've been a bit disconnected from our work here and often have just had to live vicariously through what Kevin has told me. Occasionally the girls and I have traveled with Kevin but it's just not the same as when you plant your life there and have people over for dinner and can be available spur of the moment. Most of our local friends live there and I'm so very excited to get to develop the friendships that we've started and all that comes with that. (Those of you who know us and our situation know what I mean.) So, all that said, in the past month the Father has completely overwhelmed us with blessings and opened doors for our move. He's doing it. And it's encouraging. From finding someone to take over the lease on our current apartment (thus avoiding a big fine) to working out our visa issues to other events probably better detailed elsewhere, I can't explain well enough how GOOD He has been. You know sometimes how when you read the Book you feel convicted, sometimes inspired, and sometimes, well, it's just hard to know what He's saying? Lately it's been all words that seem to encourage to take heart, not fear, etc, etc. It makes me wonder what's coming around the corner! I know I shouldn't think like that but it makes me wonder what is in store. The good news is I don't have to have it figured out. Another thing I'm thankful for is that Grace so far is handling the transition MUCH better than I expected. She's never been one to easily embrace change. Last year moving from the US back to this country was rough. Now, at a year older, when we told her all her toys and her bed could move with her she was pretty pleased and generally at ease about the move. We've been talking for weeks about how exciting it will be to move to the 4th floor right after she turns 4! (Our new apartment is on the 4th floor, in case you hadn't guessed.) And she is anticipating going to preschool in the fall. (She doesn't quite understand she will have to use the local language all the time yet!) The only time Grace has really mentioned being sad recently was when she realized her friend Miss L was staying right here. I know there might be some rough adjustment days ahead but I also know He knows her little personality and her needs much more than I do. So if you think of it, you might remember us on the 16...late evening of the 15th US time. I can't wait to show you pictures of our new place and some of the new people in our lives!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for you all.

Grady Butler

Anonymous said...

That is what Abram and Sarai probably felt when they started out from Ur. But you guys seem to roll with the punches. And He is definitely making straight your path for this move. How exciting. Nana

Anonymous said...

wow! love you & certainly praying... ~jd2