Friday, November 19, 2010

at school and on the balcony

My mom wants me to post pictures of Grace's school, so I had Kevin snap a few photos yesterday morning. Last week in class was rough for Grace but this week has been much, much better. Here's Grace at the front gate... and at the playground. There are no public playgrounds in town (besides outdoor exercise equipment) so Grace loves getting to play on this!
Wanna play Where's Waldo? Here are about half the students in class as they are finishing their breakfast of rice porridge. The other 20 students were lined up at the door to head out for morning exercises.
And for funsies, I thought I'd add a picture of our neighbor's balcony. Our neighbors just had a baby girl! The custom here for a new mom includes lots of rules regarding what she can and cannot eat. A new mom is generally required to stay indoors for 30 days after giving birth. And she can eat CHICKEN, lots and lots of chicken. As in a whole chicken a day. (My helper also said they can eat pig's feet.) So, camped out on our neighbors' balcony are 10 chickens awaiting slaughter. My girls have had fun looking at them each day. I asked my helper if it would be a good idea to give our neighbors a chicken as a baby gift, and she reminded me I probably wouldn't know how to pick out a good one. :) Guess I'll have to stick with getting the new little one some baby clothes instead.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the school pictures. Blonde "Waldo" does stand out in the crowd. Nana

Valerie said...

That balcony cracked me up! And you wouldn't know how to pick a good chicken?! Hahahaha. But you're one of the coolest "chicks" I know! :)

Anonymous said...

I thank you, too, for these pictures of Grace in her school. This visual helps as we lift her up to the Father. I'm thankful she has such sweet teachers and is doing so well. Whew, that's a lot of little ones! Love, Mom

sandra said...

Great school pictures!

I know. The chickens on the porch for post-birth food and the "fresh egg each day" crack me up.

I think we'll skip this tradition. Seriously, with a new baby in the house, who has time to keep the porch sanitized?