Wednesday, April 6, 2011

CX city

I leave out on Friday night in search of housing, and tonight I wanted to post a few pictures of our new city. From the looks of the buildings, you'd think this was a large city. But by this country's standards, 200,000 people or so is not big at all! Still, it seems huge compared to where we live now. Hmmm, do you think our apartment is out there somewhere? I pray so! The most beautiful part of town is the minority/cultural area. The locals say the architecture is not authentic, since it is a mixture of Y minority architecture and architecture from the Qing Dynasty, but I appreciated the beauty just the same. When we move I'll show you more pics of this area. I absolutely loved it.
We had some tasty local Y-minority food, which apparently IS authentic. Those fried potatoes were amazing and most everything is spicy, spicy. This was our first time to eat tree moss. I thought we had discovered most everything there was to eat in this country but apparently not! I loved how they put fresh pine needles on the table before we ate. I'd never seen that before either. Does it act as a food catch-all or is there some other reason? I forgot to ask and must investigate this further.
Almost every night a group of dancers gathers around this big fire to get-down, local style. Fire is an important part of Y culture. (Forgive the poor picture quality!) Come on over and I'm sure we'll bring you here!!

3 comments:

Jim Gerlt said...

Your last line was to come on over. O.K. Your mother and I will be there June 23rd. Can't wait. Thank you for posting the pictures. We're lifting you to our Father that He direct you to the perfect apartment for you and family. Can't wait to see it.
Dad

Anonymous said...

dude! excited for you all and anxious to hear the good report and of course all about your new abode! love you guys and will certainly be remembering you, b, during your great big adventure! proud of you and love you bunches! ~jd2

Anonymous said...

We certainly are lifting up your trip and looking for an apartment. We are eager to see your new city. It looks interesting. Nana and Papa