Monday, July 11, 2011

Granna and Papa Jim's visit, Part 1

My parents made the trek across the Pacific to see us again! Hooray! We had a great visit, and I think my mom and dad enjoyed visiting a new (read: cooler!) part of the mainland. The fun thing was we went to a few places which were new to us, as well. My dad was a trooper; on day 2 after arriving he got to be jostled in a car on dirt/rocky roads for several hours. He said it's the best cure for jet lag! I took so many pictures that I decided I'd break this up into two posts. (Photo overload to follow...you've been warned!) Of course we had to visit Old Town and take them to our favorite restaurant there. where we have also recently discovered bumper boats!
love this pic
A few days later we made our way to Dali, my new favorite place on the mainland. It was gorgeous! Here we are aboard a cable car. Please notice the broken plexi-glass behind my firstborn. "This did not bless my heart" as Kristen would say. But, knowing that our lives are in the Lord's hands (and noticing thankfully that Europeans built this contraption) we boarded the cable car up the mountain. Oohing and aahing ensued.
Mom and Dad loved it. I think Grace and I were the only ones not really comfortable with the heights we soared.
This is called, "fake it till you feel it." I was still a bundle of nerves.
But getting to the top was worth it. This picture below makes me want to sing, "The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Music..." 1. because of the beauty and 2. because my mother introduced Grace to the Sound of Music on this trip. Grace is completely enthralled with the von Trapps now, so much so that we've had to google them and read all about their lives. It's been enlightening. We thought Aunt Kimberly would be so happy to know Grace loves the movie now!! (And that Kevin hasn't groaned at all about it!)
Kevin found some monster-sized checkers pieces to push around...
The girls wanted to take a little boat ride. It calmed them down a bit from the local paparazzi trying to photograph their every move.
This path would not really fly in the US, what with the lack of safety rails next to the waterfall, but we don't let safety schmafety get in our way here.
My big girl in the mountains...
The next day we boarded some cozy little boats
to watch these cormorant bird go fishing.
Got one!!
Our guide offered to let us hold the birds, so of course we had to give it a try.
They were heavier than they looked!
It is an odd feeling to have a bird on your head.
but we liked it. (Well, all except the girls who wouldn't go near the big scary birds!!)
I thought Grace looked quite the part of the tourist.
Part 2 tomorrow...

4 comments:

Granna said...

Yea! It's fun to see these on the blog during the "fog." ...joyfully re-experiencing these moments when the sleep eludes me. Thanks for posting. Love, Mom

Valerie said...

Oh my goodness, I'm LOVING these pictures! Looks like you all had so much fun. What a crazy experience with the birds on your heads???!!! Haha, but I'm sure the girls will never forget it!

Anonymous said...

We loved the pictures. Knowing it is cooler and beautiful may be what it takes to get me on the plane next fall. Nana

kristen lewis said...

I got a shout out on the blog! This blesses my heart! I love your pictures. But not as much as I love you!