Wednesday, June 22, 2011

first looth tooth

Two days after Grace turned five, we were sitting down to dinner and Grace asked me when she would start losing her teeth. She's noticed several "big kids" who've lost teeth and has been ready to join the ranks. I told her (again) it would probably be another year before her baby teeth started falling out. I'm not kidding, 20 minutes later Grace bit into a carrot stick and told me her bottom tooth was loose. I didn't believe her since we had just been talking about loose teeth and all. I thought she was imagining it. But sure enough, there was some blood and that sucker was loose. Another two days passed and it fell out. The other bottom tooth is loose too, and I can see her big tooth breaking the gum line where her baby tooth fell out. Sniff, sniff, she's really growing up. One funny thing is that Grace had NO concept of getting money for teeth. We told her we'd put her tooth under her pillow and in the morning she would find some money. She thought that was the weirdest thing she'd ever heard and asked why we didn't just give the money to her straight! Ha! It's times like these I realize she is having an altogether different childhood that I did.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

ahhh... how can it be? looth tooth already!?! oh my your sweetie is growing up so fast! and yes, she's totally right... that whole exchanging money for a tooth is weird. so i plan to save my money. ;) (((hugs))) to you all! ~jd2

Amy said...

That's one milestone that made me sad for some reason. They do seem to grow up fast.

Valerie said...

Henry lost his first tooth the same week he started kindergarten. It was all too much for me -- too many milestones all at once! But funny story -- my nephew was talking about the tooth fairy bringing $5 a tooth at his house. I took Derek aside and told him he'd better not mention that to my kids as apparently we have the ghetto tooth fairy that brings 4 quarters a tooth. Thankfully my kids have been thrilled with the "ghetto tooth fairy" so far, haha. Seriously, $5 a tooth? That gets expensive!