Wednesday, May 23, 2012

When

  • When I think about landing on American soil for the first time in 3 years, I get excited. When I realize both of my kids remember nothing about the last time we were there, I can't wait to make new memories with them. When I realize I won't have to subtract 13 hours to remember what time I can call my family, or when my daughter talks about how much she can't wait to play with her cousins, I say "bring on July!"
  • When I read about a pastor in the Dallas Metroplex who has started his own fashion blog because it's just that important to stay current, trendy and "relevant," I want to throw up in my mouth just a little. And I get a bit nervous remembering that re-entry culture shock is a real thing.
  • When the water is out for the 20th time this week and I just want to take a shower, I say July can't come fast enough. When my helper shows up one day asking for a 42% raise and then I tell her we might have to cut back on her hours because 42% more per hour is a bit much, I am frustrated. And when my helper calls the next day to say she won't come to work because she has to "pay her electric bill," I feel played. The passive-aggressive way situations are dealt with here drive me C-R-A-Z-Y. 
  • But then, when my helper shows up for work the next day and we work things out in our "talk around it," dysfunctional culturally-appropriate fashion, and when she proceeds to spend over an hour washing, peeling, and chopping vegetables so I can play with my girls, I decide it's worth it. I think. I mean, in America, sure there are luxuries like frozen vegetables and sauce from a jar, but goodness gracious I get spoiled having a helper here.
  • When I realize I'm on edge again today because people are staring and talking about us once more like we can't understand them and are simply monkeys at the zoo, I want to tell them they are in need of some serious manners. And then I realize I have anger issues. Never before did I struggle with anger like I have since moving here. You know why? Sin. As if I have the right to not have to hear people talking about us or stare at us. And I realize it might be good to get some perspective outside the fishbowl again.
  • But when I think about the last year and how FAITHFUL the Father has been to give us joy and to allow us to see Him work in amazing ways, I am grateful. I feel like we've received more blessings from this overseas journey than I could have fathomed if we'd lived here 100 years. And He doesn't even owe us a single one.
  • When I read in Luke about Jesus calming the storm and asking his disciples, "Where is your faith?" I identify with the disciples. I feel pretty great about how much I trust the Lord until a trial comes along. Lord, fix me.
  • And when I think about how my heart really loves two countries at the same time for vastly different reasons, I am grateful for the opportunity to see some strengths and weaknesses in both cultures...and to have people to look forward to seeing on both sides of the ocean. I am blessed to be on this ride.  

5 comments:

Valerie said...

Awesome post, Brigitte. Wishing you the smoothest travel home and a wonderful time with your family and friends!

Anonymous said...

beautifully written.
loved hearing your heart.
precious.
love you.
~jd2 (the girl)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for putting into words the way I feel almost every day. You did a beautiful job. Yes, Lord...work on me too! Love you Brigitte.

Anonymous said...

Honey, I love your heart! You are such a great writer, too. Thanks for the long visit just now. Only five more weeks!!!!!!!

Mom

Anonymous said...

We are so excited that you will be stateside in a month. Nana