Sunday, September 23, 2007

some Sunday ramblings

I started brewing my coffee this morning shortly before 8 am... It finally finished brewing at 6 pm tonight. That's when the power came back on. Rewind 10 days: A notice (posted at 10:30 pm the night before) said, "No power tomorrow from 8 am to 6 pm." Ok, at least they gave us notice, right? Well, the power never went out. So for a week or so I would fill up buckets each morning waiting for the power to go out because we have no water when the power goes out. Power outage never happened. Fast-forward to today: 8 am sharp the power goes off. This time, no notice, and no buckets drawn. Rewind to yesterday: I was dead-set on working out since I have been trying to do this faithfully 3 times a week. Do to the major construction project outside our building, bus stops are now in creative places. We spend lots of money taking cabs because we don't really want to walk (with Grace) through 30 minutes of "OSHA-who?, super-dangerous-with cranes overhead-and sparks-flying everywhere" construction to get to our bus stop. But, I digress. I thought I'd try taking the bus this time to the gym. I asked a bus driver if his bus headed to that area of town. He said yes. I was doubtful so I asked him 2 times to make sure he knew where I was talking about, and once again he gave me the official local grunt "uh, uh" to signify yes. I boarded the bus, but several stops later realized I was going in the opposite direction of where I needed to go. I asked the driver again. He said, "oh, you need to go THERE" but it was with a smirk like he totally already knew where I needed to go. He was playing it's "mess around with a foreigner" day! I got off and found the right bus. But it had taken me an hour and a half to get to the gym by this point, too late to work out because I needed to be home around 5:00 for baby switch-off. Oh well, there's always next time. I had waited to wash my hair that morning (hadn't done it in 2 days) but I could do that tomorrow morning, right? I was getting ready to hop in the shower when the power went off today... So, my greasy head and bad attitude went to club this morning. I was in serious need of a heart tune-up. I'm thankful that time before Him and in fellowship with friends can do that. I'm thankful for His patience toward me when I seem to let trivial things get me frazzled. There are so many more important matters in life than lost time, power outages, and greasy hair!

3 comments:

kristen lewis said...

Oh, Brig. I am so sorry. So, how did your coffee end up after brewing for 10 hours? It seems like the construction just follows you. I am so sorry. I love you- greasy hair, sour attitude and all!

Patricia & Pat Godin said...

Having experienced several times of electricity going off while we were visiting December, 2005, I can appreciate your frustration. It is good to vent. Mom G

Anonymous said...

sure, there are more important things in life than power and clean hair...but it doesn't make those times without them any less frustrating! :) I probably would have skipped club and moped around my house eating chocolate cookies. haha! hey, way to go sort-of going to the gym. Gyms haven't even hit my radar in a very very long time...