Wednesday, July 29, 2009

here they are

Grace and Kevin rode the bus after dinner tonight (which they often do for fun) to go pick up Trinity's 100 day photos. Grace was sweaty and panting with excitement when she came home and told me how Trinity was dressed up like a strawberry in her pictures. I wasn't quite as thrilled as Grace was about how they turned out, but we did get a few cute ones nonetheless. I couldn't tell if they had edited the photos at all, and they messed up the book I ordered with it (more on that below). But hey, here's my baby girl in all her strawberry cuteness.
I had a little battle going on with the photographer about where Trinity's bow should be. She kept pulling it up on her head and I kept pulling it down. She won.
Grace had an apple in one of her 100 day photos, too. I guess it's a common prop here!
In her traditional Chinese bib.
As I've done before, I ordered the little hard-back book that the studio puts together and usually comes with the pre-paid package. The books tend to have cartoon characters and are a bit cutesy/over-the-top, but I like them for some reason. Because there's no where in the States I could go and get something so "distinct." Someday these books will make me smile as I remember how they do things here.
Grace's 100 day book is on the right. It says "BABY, you are my super star." Cheesy, but very Asian. No blatant Chinglish. In fact, we had asked for no English written in the book because we didn't want anything written that made absolutely no sense. When we picked it up, it still had a little bit of English written in, but nothing weird. Now Trinity's book (on the left) is another story. I also asked for NO ENGLISH to be written in the book, except for her English name. I was assured it wouldn't have any English writing on it. But, here's what it says:
Happy Baby, intelligent, clever, lovable, joyful, supreme headquarters
Yep, it says supreme headquarters
Why? I have no idea. But just like those NBA players often don't know what it the world their Chinese-character tattoo says, well, that happens over here too.
Here's a page from Grace's book. Pretty well-done.
And this one of Trinity's I can live with. It has her Chinese and English names, blood type(!), birthday, etc.
But I have no idea what this page says because it happens to be written in Korean!
And this one might just take the cake. Above "Childhood recollection" is written: "You don't want me no more. But I'm gonna change your mind. Some way somehow." Wow.
I've debated taking it back and seeing about getting a different book, but honestly, I've been here long enough that I'm just skeptical a new book would be any better. Plus, this one makes me laugh.
Oh, and don't worry. We bought the right to all these pictures so we're not breaking any copyright laws by showing you our books. Well, that, and over here copyright usually means "right to copy."

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love the pictures and the ones where she looks like a strawberry are really cute. They reflect the culture where you now live and one day Trinity will have a big laugh over them. Nana

kristen lewis said...

You don't want me no more. This is all too good to be true! You are such a good sport about it all! The good news is that the pictures are adorable! I love the one with the yellow backdrop the best. Someday, somehow! HA!!! I love you.

Valerie said...

Brigitte, I was laughing out loud at this post! The great news is, there are cute pictures in that book coupled with the hilarious wording in Chinese, English, and Korean (bonus, haha!), and these will bring smiles and laughter for years to come.

sandra said...

So fun! If you're feeling "accustomed" and like you have a lot of "strength" then you should definitely go back and ask for a free session. I bet they'll at least discount on your next session.

Erin said...

Oh, my gosh. I just laughed out loud here all by myself. That is funny stuff. She is the cutest little strawberry I have ever seen. And, yes, definitely supreme headquarters. Definitely. Too funny! Love you guys! The pictures are precious.

Anonymous said...

heehee! you made us giggle out loud! thank you for sharing! love those cuties! (((hugs!))) ~jd2

Matt and Rebekah said...

The pics are great! She's such a sweet baby girl. Now, the comments...they're hilarious! I love the part about how NBA players don't have a clue about what their tattoos say! Who knows what they think they say and what they actually say! Too funny. Would it make you feel better if I had Snapfish make me a book and I could put random stuff under Kendal's pics? Thanks so much for sharing your fun life! We miss you guys terribly. Oh, and by the way, McClendon has said a few things about Grace in the past week. Funny, huh? One was about where she lives..."WAYYYY over there." And I don't remember exactly what else he said but it was something about a food she likes to eat. Pretty sure he made it up! LOL

Anonymous said...

Hilarious!! Alayna says it's unique. We all agree the pictures are adorable! I think that is a much better keepsake than you could have even planned. Love you,
Angela

ashley said...

oh yes, yes, yes! I love this post. you have such a great sense of humor about everything, and because of that the book will be a treasure!