Monday, March 29, 2010

highlights from HK and other fun with Nana and Pappaw

After we celebrated Trinity's first birthday and let Nana and Pappaw get over jet lag, we set out to show them some of Hong Kong's highlights. I've decided it's a great thing to visit Hong Kong with a 2-to-1 adult/kid ratio, especially when preschoolers are involved. We took turns getting out altogether and separately in pairs. Kevin took his parents on two outings without the kids so they could linger a bit longer at the beautiful scenery. The first stop was to Victoria Peak because, well, it's one of Hong Kong's most popular places to go! It was an overcast day but the view is always beautiful regardless. On another day Kevin took his folks for a cable car ride, and I think they all enjoyed this much more than going to Victoria Peak. The cable car ends at the world's largest bronze sitting Buddha, or something like that. The Buddha isn't what was exciting, of course, but the view was apparently pretty amazing! (Seeing as how I'm not a fan of cable car rides, I gladly offered to stay with the kids and take them to the park. But after I heard how much fun the cable car ride was I decided next time I might just have to temporarily get over my fear of cable cars.)
Smiles on the cable car...obviously Nana and Pappaw do not share my deathly fear
you can see Buddha sitting on his booty in the background
One afternoon Kevin and Pappaw went on a man-outing, which included a movie and some ribs. I have no picture of that. Nor do I have a picture from the date Kevin and I went on in HK...probably because we were having so much fun talking, shopping, and feeding our faces while not being interrupted by little ones. (Thank you Nana and Pappaw for giving us this time together!) But I DO have a picture from High Tea at the Four Seasons Hotel. Yippee! It's supposed to be one of the top things to do in HK and I've always wanted to go, but for some reason my manly husband has never been interested in tea. Or scones. Or frilly little sandwiches. Nana and I had a great time. Look at the spread!
Of course we had to stop by Disneyland and say hi to Mickey and Minnie. Grace was thrilled to be back. And while riding the carousel we unexpectedly ran into some friends! It was fun to catch up, even if it was too brief. I love meetings like that!
Grace was too shy to visit with the princesses this time but was thrilled to see the characters again. Minnie is by far her favorite. (Grace was still sporting a black eye from a major run-in with her bedroom wall following an acrobatic move gone awry.)
We had to pull out the Minnie-ears for Minnie. Grace asked me later, "How do Mickey and Minnie eat? Their mouths are stuck open! And how do they sleep because they can't close their eyes?" And don't even try to convince Grace that Mickey and Minnie are not real. She will not have it that someone else is inside these costumes. Nope, "they're for real."
After our Hong Kong vacation, Nana and Pappaw came home with us and we got some good play time in with the girls.
And there was plenty of silliness going on...
Next door at the park we took our pictures with our respective zodiac signs. We realized that Grace and Pappaw were both born in the year of the dog!
Nana and Pappaw's birthday gift to Trinity was this amazing tunnel and attached tent. The girls have had so much fun playing in this the last few weeks! We'll have to put it up soon and bring it out for rainy days, but for now they are still enjoying the playtime.
Nana and Pappaw, thank you so much for coming and blessing us! We know it's no small thing to travel to Asia and you were both so gracious to come and spend time with us. We love you!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are already missing you guys even though we are just now getting over jet lag. You are super hosts. Thank you so very much. Hong Kong is amazing.
Nana and Pappaw.

Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed seeing the highlights of the trip! Love to all you Godins. Granna

jdavis2 said...

so glad you finally got to have high tea! and a special date with just your man! how fun! i especially love your recording of grace's thought processes concerning mickey & minnie. so funny! keep'em comin' - i need the laughs! ;) ~jd2

Erin said...

Um, I'm with you on the cable car thing. Not. A. Chance.

kristen lewis said...

I just found these pictures. Grace with Minnie is adorable. I am so glad that his folks are willing to come across the world to love on you. Wish I could come soon!