Monday, March 1, 2010

tunnels and walls and picnics, oh my!

Remember camp? I loved camp. Well, all except the campy, athletic-type stuff. Trust falls, big walls to scale, spider webs and the sort all made me break out into the sweats. I would generally do the minimum I had to do and wait it out until we could move on to other activities. (Don't even get me started on Sunday night volleyball...my head was a magnet for the balls!) So, as you might imagine my athletic prowess was pretty much limited to nertz-playing in the cabin. I'm not just real big on adventure in general (stop laughing, Kristen.) And I thought perhaps my eldest daughter would inherit this from me because she has generally seemed to be on the timid side when it comes to playing outdoors. I can't imagine, cough cough, who might be holding her back.
A few weeks ago, before all the Chinese New Year fun, we were having some crazy warm weather and headed next door to the park for a picnic. It was probably one of the funnest family outings we've had in a long time. We live next door to GORGEOUS Green Mountain park but have not gone very often, sad to say. It's a "pay-to-get-in" park. Most of the year it's hot and humid. The park is huge and takes quite a time commitment to go through...you get the idea. But this day in February was gorgeous and we had the time. In fact, we've had many family trips to Green Mountain park this month. Even bought the month pass...
We were surprised to see some new equipment. Campy, ropes course-type equipment. Let me just that one of the first things I saw was "the wall," and I immediately had flashbacks to camp. I think I started sweating just thinking about it!
But Grace SHOCKED us and starting climbing up this little tunnel.
and went all the way to the tippy top...
then climbed down the 15-foot ladder (with Daddy spotting, of course!)
and did a little victory dance. She was so excited! Much more tunnel climbing followed...
There are some smaller, not-so-scary things to do. This was about my speed. My big stud of a husband is the athlete of the family and scaled the huge wall (proof posted above!) in like 3 seconds. Seriously.
Smiles all afternoon...
We ended our day with a picnic, complete with expensive imported Diet Dr. Pepper from the import store. Hooray for the import store!
And I wonder what this one will think of tunnels and walls at age 3? (Ok, really I don't just yet. But how could I NOT post a picture of this cutie at the picnic?!!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! i was nervous for Grace... even after knowng the "safe" outcome of her trip through the tunnel! so fun! so precious! ...and lest you think i didn't notice your summer wear in the previous post - you're completely wrong! even here in the states we can't seem to get a break from the cold & rain. argh! happy for you guys... and a bit jealous... ;) ~jd2

Anonymous said...

We are looking forward to some pretty weather and being outside in the sun. I can hardly wait to see Kevin and Grace show off their stuff at Green Mountain. Nana

kristen lewis said...

Oh the sweet memories of zip lines, trust falls, and ropes course days with you. . .

I loved the picture of Trinity and her mouth FULL OF TEETH! I am already looking forward to birthday pictures.

Love you so much!

sandra said...

We absolutely must visit Green Mountain if we ever make it down to you guys. Our little guy and Grace would have so much fun!