Monday, August 23, 2010

the treehouse

I can look around my apartment and instantly have memories of friends who have moved on and left their belongings behind. Life overseas is filled with transitions, with people coming and going, giving and lending and receiving and sharing and packing and moving on. I truly believe it's made me hold on to things a little more loosely. When we first moved to Asia 6 years ago we filled our entire earthly possessions into 6 bags, or was it 7? It was so long ago I honestly can't remember now. But boy we have certainly expanded since that time. Loved ones are so good to send toys and clothes and gifts from home. Grandparents have been known to package an entire tent into their suitcase all to bring some joy to their granddaughters! And they've also notoriously paid for overweight luggage because they know how much fun it is to get goodies from America. Last week some of our favorite people moved into town. (Can I get a hallelujah!?) And their oldest daughter, Miss H, is growing up. She decided to pass on her American Girl doll treehouse to my girls. Now let me tell you, when I found this out I almost cried because I know that her sweet Nana brought this over from America in her suitcases (I would have loved to see how she did it!) and this was certainly no small feat. I think it would be great for Miss H to be able to pass this down to her own kids someday, but I've been told there's likely no way to get this back over the ocean once again. So, Miss H has now made my 4 year old one happy girl. We've already had lots of fun playtimes with the treehouse. Hopefully we can take really great care of it and (one of these years) pass it on to another little girl who will love playing with it too!
I'm so thankful my little girls have such a sweet friend to look up to! Thank you, H!

6 comments:

Valerie said...

What a cool gift! I have a niece who is very into American Girl dolls, and just thumbing through the catalogs, I've seen how crazy expensive that stuff is. But oh, that treehouse -- I even might have drooled over it in the catalog! I can only imagine how much fun your girls are going to have playing with it. :)

Anonymous said...

that is very, very cool! "that" being having awesome friends nearby AND the wonderful tree house! so thankful for friends who share! happy for all of you girls! :) ~jd2

kristen lewis said...

This warms my heart.

Darla said...

Miss H is an awesome role model! I love how Trinity is hanging over the couch listening to the story!

Anonymous said...

Darling daughter, thank you for posting these pictures. They are like water to a dehydrated man to me. And what a gift from Miss H--what a beautiful young woman she is inside and out.
Dad/Jim/Papa Jim

Anonymous said...

What a cool thing for H. to give to the girls. Just seeing the picture if the big smile on Grace's face shows what a big hit the doll house is. Nana