Tuesday, February 22, 2011

baby it's cold inside

  • This one certainly falls under the "I'm the momma and might want to remember this later" category.
When the temperatures drop outside in the winter, they drop inside our apartment too. I know I've droned on and on about living in a refrigerator, but it's hard to describe unless you've experienced it. With no central heat and walls made of concrete, it is hard to escape the cold inside the apartment. While Grace melts in the heat and does pretty well in winter, Trinity really doesn't like to be cold. So during the coldest part of January, about 10 times a day, Trinity would come to me and say, "I want blanket!" Then, we'd go snuggle under our covers for a while. She only wanted to go to Mommy and Daddy's bed, so we'd snuggle, read a book, and get warmed up until she was ready to play again. Often in the middle of the night she'd wake up especially cold and want to warm up in our bed. And although I like the idea of letting her sleep with us, in reality no one would sleep if she stayed there long. So after a few minutes I'd tell her, "Let's go back to Trinity's bed," she would nod her head and get back in her bed. Trinity is my snuggler. Grace has joined in several times too. This was a common occurrence all winter long at our house... And bath times have been a little more rare than usual this winter. I mean, if your kid isn't super dirty, is a bath really necessary every day? When the girls did take a bath, they tried to stay under the warm water. Getting out of the tub was brutal. It made me remember Kevin's and my first winter in Asia when we lived on a university campus, the windows near our shower wouldn't close, and the bathroom would be 40 degrees. We rigged a space heater near the shower. It was NOT our brightest idea but sure helped at the time. Sometimes you just gotta live on the edge.
We usually had a minimum of 3 layers of clothes for Trinity at bedtime. Thankfully, the weather is already warming up and humid March (aka especially big hair month) is on its way!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, you don't need to bathe every day when you are not dirty. In the cold you don't sweat. So when it is cold outside, postpone the stuff that makes you more uncomfortable. Nana

kristen lewis said...

I find myself smiling from ear to ear every time you post pictures of the girls. I love how their personalities shine in their eyes.

Anonymous said...

what sweet pictures. i'm feelin' for ya. i know it's miserable to be cold... but i do believe in living on the edge, which means i believe in putting space heaters everywhere! in fact, even though we have heating i still use one in our restroom since it has a drafty window. bring on the heat! and the big hair! :) ~jd2

Anonymous said...

You are just becoming very European. They bathe weekly, whether needed or not. They also use cologne--which is why some of the best cologne comes from Europe. But my granddaughters surely don't stink! Thanks for the update--love it when you post.
Papa Jim

sandra said...

We've been so cold too! I miss feeling my kids skin.