Sunday, June 2, 2013

Field Trip


Perhaps I should call my blog "Holidays and Vacations" rather than Eggs Over Asia because it seems I only blog when we celebrate a special event. The truth is I seldom blog about daily life, and I hardly ever take my camera with me when we are around town. But the other day, the homeschoolers in our city decided to have a field trip to celebrate the end of the school year. And since we were walking to the museum, I thought I'd take a few pictures around where we live. 



Construction is the name of the game all over the country, and our town is no different. They are finishing up the sidewalk on a newly opened street behind our apartment complex. It makes for fun times of playing the "don't fall into that pot hole" game!


And there are plenty of random dogs running around our city. (On a side note, I hardly ever remember seeing dogs running around in our previous province. They ATE dogs in our previous province but that is not often done where we currently live. Coincidence? I think not.)


Breakfast vendors are faithfully out each morning offering steamed buns or noodles for sale.


Another street view...



Somehow we've managed to live in CX for almost 2 years without going to the local museum...shame on us! In my defense, they have very limited opening hours and close for lunch at around 11 am. When we have tried to go in the past they have been closed.



But today, they were open! I was surprised to learn they don't charge an entry fee anymore; apparently our host country is pushing to make more museums across the country free of charge.

I loved the Yi minority architecture.


The claim to fame around these parts is a dinosaur excavation site around 1 hour from our city. They had several  legit dinosaur fossils and the lady at the museum told me this replica was 80% real dinosaur bones.


Overall, since I had truly zero expectations of this museum before I went, I was pleasantly surprised with how well it was done! The kids had a blast. Trinity cracked me up however; of all the neat things to see she got most excited about some ancient tea cup. "Mommy, there's an old tea cup! Can you believe they have a tea cup?!"


The museum steps offer a great view from our city. We do have some of the bluest skies this country has to offer.


Another street view...


On the walk home, we saw mules. Honestly, I love it that you never quite know what you will see walking down the street.


At times it feels like our entire life is one field trip followed by another, but today it was fun to do something that truly felt like a school field trip. We are thankful for our buddies here.

2 comments:

Amy O said...

Love seeing the glimpses of your city! Hugs!

Anonymous said...

awesome! so good to see your beautiful girls & their smiling faces! what a fun field trip! good to see your town as well! (((HUGS)))