Sunday, August 19, 2007

tea shop grand opening

Truly, you can never have too many tea shops in a country...

The other day, our friends invited us to their friends' tea house grand opening. (That's how it goes in Asialand.) I had no idea how many different kinds of tea existed until we moved here a few years ago. Now, I'm not a huge fan of most of the teas here. Drinking bitter, hot green tea in the heat of a summer afternoon isn't something we foreigners generally relish. However I was pleasantly surprised the other day to encounter pu-erh tea. It's a kind of red tea, and they even had lemon-flavored!

Below you can see the tea-making presentation we were given. This lady took the greatest care and made such delicate, slow movements with her hands. After the presentation, we were asked what our favorite "hand movement" was. And, being the dumb foreigners we are, we had the look on our faces like, "duh...were we SUPPOSED to have a favorite hand movement?" But we said something to try and fake it.
Note the raised pinky finger. Also note the super-cool glass hand holding the tea strainer. :)
These folks were kind to us and gave us some free tea. So, now we're obliged to go back and buy some. But, I actually like this kind so I'll be glad to buy more! It's also supposed to have the health benefit of helping you lose weight. Bring it on!

1 comment:

kristen lewis said...

I don't even drink tea but I seriously need one of those glass hands. Just think of all the fun I could have with that!

I love the little glimpses that I get into life in Eastern culture on your blog! Very cool.