Monday, June 2, 2008

hairy adventures

I remember that right before I left for Asia, my US hairdresser asked me, "Who's going to do your hair in Asia?"

"Good question," I replied.

3 and a half years later, I still don't quite have that issue resolved.

I remember my first Asian haircut like it was yesterday. I approached the chair with fear and trembling. And, although I didn't cry afterwards, I definitely felt I'd gotten a little bit more integrated into the culture, since my hair looked more "native."

Last year, I got a haircut that looked as if Mamie Eisenhower herself had hacked away at my bangs.

And just last week, I proved once again that although I THOUGHT I was explaining myself quite clearly to the hairdresser, his interpretation of what I said was quite the opposite. Actually, I think the guy heard me clearly and did what he wanted to anyway. It's hard to describe what happened in that barber's chair, there are not words adequate enough. However, the words "hacksaw," "rat-tail," and "lawnmower" are the first things that pop into my head.

It was bad.

Thankfully, my friend Terri, who is familiar with cutting hair, took pity on me and tried to salvage what she could of my haircut. In the process, she had to cut off at least 3 inches to try and make it look presentable. At least I'm not ashamed to walk out the door anymore.

I can't wait to get to that hairdresser in America again in a few months! She'll probably just shake her head in horror.

I think that next time, I'll just take this picture and ask the local hairdresser to give me this cut!


7 comments:

kristen lewis said...

Oh Brig, I just had a flashback to our freshman year and that guy that destroyed your hair then! I will never forget us back in the dorm room with scissors trying to salvage it through tears. I am sure that you look beautiful, but I am sorry for the trauma. Hey- you know what my horrible haircut resulted in. . .

Anonymous said...

OH B! I was so totally wishing for a before and after! I've cried at the hairdressers too - literally in the chair. I just wanted my hair cut straight across. I'm sure I communicated it correctly! BUT he had other ideas!

Anonymous said...

love the picture! good thing is, it's totally unisex! doesn't look like it takes much maintenance either! bonus!
i trust that in spite of the whack job, you look just as pretty as ever...
~jd2

Anonymous said...

hey, just be appreciative you still have hair...kever's looks like he might be losing the battle on the hair front in the next few years...

love ya bro!

jc

p.s. check out my wife's blog; ironic that you two post about the same topic. why not have kever's hook you up???

Anonymous said...

oh yea, i forgot to ask...where's a pic that we can see Terri's skill?

jc

Anonymous said...

girl, i feel your pain. fyi, you also know the color won't be what you just spent the last ten minutes communicating when the man starts slathering your hair with blue paste from the bowl that he just used for bleaching the previous customer's hair. after the fact, i, too, said, "well at least it looks more like the locals."

Kimmy Kay

The Kilcoynes said...

Wow! I always have to take a picture and then they still do what they want to do. It's almost a tradition here to NOT get what you ask for! So sorry.