Saturday, June 7, 2008

We've got spirit, yes we do...

The Ol. Games are coming! In August! It's almost time! And the entire country is excited!

Today, the Torch came through our city. The Games are a HUGE deal here. Very groundbreaking. I never could have imagined what a big deal this event is to the entire nation. I guess partly because, when the Games have been held in the US, it's a big honor for the host city but not as significant for the rest of the country. But here, many people will get a few days off of work just because of the Games.

I wanted to go to watch the Torch run today, but Kevin's school officials specifically asked us and other foreign students here not to attend out of "concern for our safety." It's ok, because Kevin got back into town late this morning and I would not have been brave enough to maneuver through the great multitudes of people by myself with Grace. However, that didn't stop me from going yesterday to take a few pictures around town as preparations were under way.

Here's our city expo center, where the Torch was to make it's final stop... (BTW, this photo was taken from my gym. I love to look out this window as I work out.)

Beautification-in-process
Some folks were milling around and taking photos on the stage
a map of the Torch route
This made me laugh. It's a bunch of coke cans made into the shape of an ancient minority drum.
Bring on the Games!

3 comments:

kristen lewis said...

I would love to actually see the games in person. It is pretty cool to get to be around all of the "hype." Your pictures are beautiful.

Anonymous said...

hey...what happened to the pic of the new hair? i'm not going to let this die... :)

jc

The Kilcoynes said...

I love the pics! It is interesting to watch the news here talk about the games. They mainly talk about scandals, what is NOT seen on TV over there, the pollution, efforts at beautification, and Oh, they did talk about athletics once yesterday.