Sunday, August 17, 2008

Down Memory Lane

It's been a wild, weird, and wonderful 3 years, 8 months and 12 days. Tonight, I'm feeling nostalgic. We leave on Wednesday to fly to Hong Kong for a few days, then we head to America and will be there by Monday! Where has the time gone? In some ways, it feels like ages since we first came, as if before coming to Asia was a lifetime ago. But, in other ways, the years have gone quickly. Here's just a tiny sample from some fun memories.
One day we went out traveling, and these kids followed us EVERYWHERE we walked around town.
While on a school field trip, we ran into heavy rain and a flooded road. We had to cross this narrow road complete with raging waters and another truck that had already gotten stuck, and let me say, it was scary for everyone involved! Here's my dad at Asian Wal-Mart helping this nice lady catch her live turtles for turtle soup! Kevin showing off his mad skills on the traditional bamboo dance. Starting a hike with some friends On our first trip to Hong Kong, we fell in love with the city! Exploring a park with one of our teachers and her friends Here's another one of our first language teachers and our classmate from New Zealand, who was quite a cut-up. Our teacher was very strict and didn't really understand western humor, so that made for some fun cultural experiences. In one of the 3 apartments we've lived in, there was a classy tile in the bathroom of a pig taking a shower! Some countryside cuties 31 weeks pregnant with Grace Grace at 2 months old Drawing the ever-present crowd of curious onlookers Just a cute shot watching waterfalls Family shot, yes Kevin has endured much heckling for wearing the traditional "dress." Grace with a sweet friend one month older than her Kevin learning to give a vitamin shot to a piglet. Oh, so many more pictures I could post, but I guess that will have to do for now. There have been some moments I wouldn't want to re-live, but I'm thankful for each of our experiences over these past few years. He's used them to shape us. And, oh my, how GOOD He's been to us!! Thanks for lifting us up while we travel! Goodbye Asia, we love you and we'll be back!

2 comments:

kristen lewis said...

I just cannot wait! I am so thankful that in so many ways the time has gone so quickly. Now I am praying that the next ten months will slow down a bit. I love you!

Anonymous said...

We are counting the days until you are stateside. I agree with Kristen, we hope the time does not go too quickly while you are here. Love, Mom and Dad Godin