Thursday, August 28, 2008

America the Beautiful

We made it back to the States and are thankful for smooth travels! Grace didn't sleep much but did great during all of our flights (with the help of a certain DVD player and some suckers, thank you very much.) I could tell people were lifting us up during our travel. I certainly love Asia, but as we flew back into the States, I felt so patriotic and had the sudden urge to sing "America the Beautiful" and hug the customs officials. (No, I restrained myself for fear they would think I was crazy.) The best part of the trip was getting off the plane in Lubbock and seeing all 4 of our parents there to greet us. Grace has been in heaven since we landed having so many grandparents to dote on her. The first night back, jetlagging as she was, she woke up in the middle of the night and asked for both her Nana and Granna because she wanted to play! Also the first evening, my BFF Kristen, her hubby Mike and precious son Carter dropped by, and it was just so much fun to see them in person again. After so many "goodbyes," I am really digging the "hello agains." It's a blessing to get to spend time with loved ones again over the next few months. Some of our first impressions back: *the sky seems so very blue in Lubbock and the sun is BRIGHT. I love the dry, cooler weather *at restaurants, the fountain drinks are HUGE *it's ultra-convenient to get out and run errands with a car sitting right out in the driveway! Grace is still trying to use her second language a bit, and even today she greeted some kiddos in Chinese. At the LA airport, she kept trying to speak with a little Asian girl in Mandarin, but the girl was not a Mandarin-speaker and had no clue what she was saying! I'm sad she will most likely lose her Mandarin while we are here, but hopefully she can get it back quickly when we return. Sending you love from Texas!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Kevin Bridgett, and Grace-

It's wonderful to have you back in the good old USA! We hope your travels bring you to Houston before you return to China. Remember, there are plenty of bedrooms with a built in crib and even baby sitters!!! We are experts in spoiling babies. Anyway, call us at 713-825-7286 if you head this way.

Love,

Grady and Cindy Butler

Anonymous said...

yeah!!! you made it. have a couple sonic drinks for me.

KK

Anonymous said...

Glad you hear you all had a safe and uneventful trip back to the USA. I know what you mean about feeling patriotic when you land on US soil!
How long will y'all be stateside? From what I learned from our time in the states - keep talking about her life in China as much as you can - oh and let her watch the tv show 'ni hao kai lan'! It was the only thing that got our kids to practice their Chinese.

Have a great time!

Erica

Valerie said...

You'll have to let me know if and when you are in OK or in the T-Town area. Maybe we could work up a little mini-Woodland Acres youth group reunion somehow...:)

Valerie (Norman)

kristen lewis said...

I am beyond happy that you are home. All week I have just felt like the whole world is back in balance again. Dorky, I know, but it is just so great to have you here!

Erin said...

I'm cracking up thinking about that poor little confused Asian girl! Wonder what Grace was thinking when she didn't talk back. Sweet, sweet girl! We can't wait to see all of you!

Anonymous said...

awesome!
miss ya already!
love, love, love!!!
~jd2