Tuesday, September 8, 2009

my mom

I love my mother. Without a doubt, she's one of the most amazing people I know. So when my parents called a few weeks ago to tell us she had that dreaded word - cancer - I had a hard time even wrapping my brain around the idea. Cancer? To MY mom? No way. And then I found myself thinking about a lot of "what ifs..." But then I really had to catch myself, take those thoughts captive, and rest in the fact that God loves my momma even more than I do. And He's still good. And He still wants us to experience the sweetness of trusting Him, even in times of uncertainty. Mom had surgery a few weeks ago, and it looks like they got all of the cancer! She will eventually have some more surgery to establish better "margin" and is going to get the full work-up at MD Anderson in Houston. She'll most likely have radiation and some chemo. Here's a few things I'm thankful for about this situation:
  • that my Dad has been walking with her right there through all of it. (You are amazing, Dad!)
  • Kevin's mom and dad sent flowers to my mom before her surgery
  • that there are bunches of folks in Lubbock who've wanted to love on my parents and many have brought meals, written, called, etc.
  • for the body of Christ (on both sides of the ocean), friends who are praying
  • for a cousin-in-law who works at MD Anderson and has called with lots of good information
  • for the calm both my parents have had about this situation from the beginning
  • for the great news that the cancer hasn't spread to the lymph nodes!
Ironically, my mom was undergoing surgery at the same exact time we discovered some dear friends of ours, who have waited and waited so long to have a child, have finally received their referral to adopt a sweet baby boy. Talk about your mix of emotions! I was so concerned for my momma and bouncing off the walls with joy for an answer to prayer that has literally been years in the making. When we found out Mom's surgery went well, I decided it was a good day all-around. Yes, in every season, He is good. Ps. 71:14-15 "But as for me, I will always have hope; I will praise you more and more. My mouth will tell of your righteousness, of your salvation all day long." I love you, Mom. Wish I could be with you and Dad as you go to all these appointments. But I look forward to hugging your necks at Christmastime!

6 comments:

Valerie said...

Wow, Brigitte! What crazy news about your mom! But I am rejoicing along with you that the surgery went so well, and I will continue to lift her and your dad up in prayer as she journeys through the rest of the process. Much love from Oklahoma...

Anonymous said...

AMEN

jdavis2 said...

thank you for sharing your heart... looking forward to catching up with you in the near future so that i can give you a big hug. love ya girl!

kristen lewis said...

I love your mom almost as much as I love you, which is a LOT. She is such an amazing woman and I know that the Lord has her in His hands right now!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Baby. What a touching, beautiful gift of your words. I love you, too, and am so proud of you and Kevin! Give those girls kisses for me tonight.

Mom

ashley said...

how can I live in lubbock and not have heard about this? God is so good, and I am so happy the surgery went well. I am sorry you are so far away- I know that is hard